Skip to content
New website

We are in the process of building a new website , which will be live in 2022. View our services currently available.

Quick exit

Motorised vehicles

Vehicles that can be considered motorised are subject to the normal legal requirements that apply to cars or motorbikes when ridden on roads or pavements. These may be mistaken as toys, such as hoverboards, segways or electric scooters.

Motorised vehicles include;

  • hoverboards
  • electric scooters
  • electric bikes
  • quad bikes
  • go-peds
  • mini-motos
  • segways.

Some people may think of these items as toys, but they are vehicles and the law of riding them applies. If such vehicles are used on a road or pavement by children or young people, they may be committing a number of offences. Parents may also face prosecution for aiding and abetting, or permitting the offences.

These vehicles also can't be legally used on a pavement either. The only place they can be used is on private land, with the landowner's permission.

The normal legal requirements are tax, insurance, vehicle registration and a driving licence. Unless the vehicle and its rider have these in place, it is not legal to use a motorised vehicle on a road. Many of the motorised vehicle may also never be considered 'road legal', as they fail to meet government road vehicle standards.

Electric assisted pedal cycle

Electrically assisted pedal cycles that meet the requirements of the Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles legal regulations (opens in new window) can be driven on the road. They don't need to be taxed, registered or insured and the rider doesn't need a driving licence, but they must be over 14 years old. The main regulations state that the;

  • bike must have pedals that are used to propel it
  • electric motor shouldn't be able to propel the bike when it's travelling more than 15.5 mph
  • bike must not be heavier than 40 kilograms (kg) if it's a bicycle, or 60kg if it's a tandem or tricycle (the weight includes the battery, but not its rider)
  • motor shouldn't have a maximum power output of more than 250 watts
  • bike must have a plate showing the manufacturer, the voltage of the battery and the motor's power output.

Vehicles that don't meet the legal regulations are deemed not to be Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles. If this is the case, they will need to be taxed, registered and insured, and the rider will need a driving licence. 

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.