Skip to content
New website

We are in the process of building a new website , which will be live in 2022. View our services currently available.

Quick exit


The law states that you must stop and exchange names, addresses, registration numbers and owner details with the other party after a collision. If anybody has injuries as a result of the collision then the drivers involved must also provide their insurance details.

If nobody has suffered any kind of injury as a result of the collision, you can report the collision online using our road traffic collision form.  Any collisions where injuries have been sustained must be reported in person at a police station.

You may be required to produce documents relating to the use of the vehicle. If you have them available please take them with you, but do not unnecessarily delay reporting the collision.

We will attend if there is an immediate danger to other road users and may need to attend where there is injury sustained by persons involved.

If life is in danger, dial 999, in all other circumstances call 101.

New collision reports

When a collision report has been submitted by officers, our collisions team investigate the case.

It can take several days for a collision report to be received and registered on our systems, due to the volume of collisions being dealt with.  

If you've been involved in a recent collision which was attended by an officer, it may be better for you to contact that officer in the first instance if you have any immediate queries. You can call 101 if you don't know their contact details.

A police collision reference number will be given to you when the collision has been registered by our collisions team.  If you've been given a control room reference number (this will include the date of the collision and be prefixed by BP, CC or HC), or an online ‘RTC’ reference, either of these numbers will serve as the police reference for your insurers in the first instance.

Provisional collision report reference numbers will not delay the processing of a claim by your insurers. Any claim claim for settlement in relation to losses or damage following a collision are not dealt with by the police. 

Reporting a collision

Sometimes, it may be necessary to report a collision at a police station, in person. Certain non-injury road traffic collisions can be reported online. Any other collisions where the law specifies having to be reported to the police, must be reported at a police station.

Information about when a collision must be reported to the police is available on the   Ask The Police website

A collision investigation is to consider whether any offences are disclosed which should proceed to court. It does not seek to assign civil liability or determine the guilt of any party. Many collision cases may not be finalised for several months following the collision. 


CCTV footage is usually held by a provider for a short period of time (usually less than a month). It is the responsibility of the person reporting the collision to identify and contact the owner of the cameras. 

If it's confirmed that the incident was caught on CCTV, we'll need the contact details of the individual who has the footage. It's very unusual for CCTV to help us to identify a vehicle that failed to stop at a collision. This is because the quality of footage varies, but there are occasions when it may assist with the investigation.

We don't view CCTV footage that exceeds two hours. If the time of the collision is not known, it's not appropriate for us to watch long periods of footage. The CCTV may not help us if the collision wasn't captured and if it was, it may not be of any evidential value.  

We don't have control of CCTV systems or the release of images by independent CCTV operators. 

Once we have been advised of the existence and content of such video evidence, we will request this from you. A link will be emailed to the person who has the video files, which will let them upload the footage to us online.

Dash cam

If you have dash cam evidence of a collision, it can only be provided to us using an online upload.  This is due to the large variety of file formats available and the need to maintain continuity of evidence.  The person producing the dash cam footage must be prepared to attend court to confirm its source. 

When we are aware of the existence and content of such video evidence, we will email you a link for the footage to be uploaded to us. Two minutes before and after the collision is usually all we need, especially when the dash cam is from one of the involved vehicles. 

Settling losses

If you have a query about the settlement of a claim for damages, injury, or loss after a collision, you should speak to your motor insurer or legal advisor. 

Following a collision, we deal with any offences which stem from it, not to deal with insurance claims.

If the other driver failed to stop, you should tell your insurers as they may be contacted by the other driver’s insurers. If you have the registration number of the other vehicle they will usually be able to contact the vehicles insurers themselves. 

Requests for information to assist civil claims following a collision

To apply for an abstract of a collision report or apply for a collision reference number, they must be requested online and payment made by BACS.

Collision reports are only shared once our investigation and any prosecution has been finalised. 

Witness statements

If you've been asked to complete a witness statement, we'll send you one via email or by post.  To request another witness statement to be sent to you, please email

Reminder letters

Reminder letters are automated and may take up to seven days to be processed.

If you're unsure if we've received your correspondence, please email with details of your submission, including your reference number.

We aim to respond to your request within two working days.

Contacting the collision unit

Our collisions administration team are open between 10am and 3pm, Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays.  You can contact us by web chat,  email or by calling 01438 757171.

Due to the variety of enquiries we receive, it may not be possible for us to tell when you could expect to receive a response. When sending us information via email, it will be matched to your file and appropriate action will be taken.

Postal address;

Collisions Administration Unit (CTC)
Stevenage Police Station
Lytton Way

Further support

If you or someone else has suffered harm caused by a collision, you could get support under the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime. For more information visit the Victim Services website.

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.