The name of the Officer: Special Constable 4780 Ryan Berridge
The date of the hearing: 17th August 9.30am start.
The location at which the hearing will take place:
- Cambridgeshire Constabulary HQ, Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon, PE29 6NP. (Members of the public to attend remotely)
The conduct that is the subject matter of the case
- between 1 January 2020 and 31March 2020, auditing shows that SC Berridge has accessed police systems on his police issued equipment, whilst not on duty in his role as a Special Constable, for a non-policing purpose, on 20 separate dates.
- on 11 March 2020, SC Berridge drove a marked police vehicle. The telematics from the vehicle show that SC Berridge exceeded the speed limit significantly, at one point travelling at 94mph, over a prolonged period of time, over a long distance, and illuminated the blue lights whilst passing other road users. This is not in his driving grade.
- on 15 October 2020 it was bought to the attention of a Police Sergeant that SC Berridge had used the term “PIKEY RODDERS” when referring to a member of the public on a Rural Policing WhatsApp group, and then followed this up with the statement “COME TO THINK OF IT, I NEED A NEW DRIVE LAYING”.
- the above all amounts to discreditable conduct as a collective.
The standards of professional behaviour engaged are:
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Discreditable conduct
- Equality and Diversity
Conditions for the hearing
The nature of the hearing is public but the public will not be allowed to attend in person due to public health considerations during the Covid-19 pandemic.
A live link will however be provided for use by the public and anyone wishing to attend the hearing virtually using this link should register their interest to attend by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on 15 August 2021.
Note that those who access the hearing via the live link will not be permitted to take part in the proceedings and must abide by conditions, including:
- recording of any part of the hearing is prohibited
- there will be a ten minute delay on reporting by any means