Bedfordshire Police Headquarters,
Woburn Road, Kempston,
Bedford, MK43 9AX Telephone: 01234 842547
10th October 2019
REQUEST UNDER THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 Ref No: FOI2019/05936
I write in connection with your request for information received on 12th September. I note you seek access to the following information:
1) What is the name of your force?
All questions below relate specifically to Response Teams, made up of police officers on shift together for a designated period (eg 8 hours), whose role is to be on call 24/7 to respond to emergencies or provide a policing presence.
2) Do you have a policy which specifies staffing levels for response teams? For example a 'minimum strength', or 'optimum staffing' or 'preferred staffing' level? If so please state the overall aim of the policy and how it's implemented.
3) In 2018/19,
a) what is the total number of occasions a Response Team operated in compliance with the above policy?
b) what is the total number of occasions a Response Team operated with fewer officers or "below strength", ie in breach of the policy?
4) In 2018/19 what was the total number of times
a) a scheduled Response Team officer-shift was filled?
b) a Response Team officer-shift was scheduled but for which there was no officer available (an "unfilled" shift)?
I am required by the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (The Act) to handle all requests in a manner that is blind to the identity of the requestor. Any information released in response to a request is regarded as being published and therefore, in the public domain without caveat.
1. Cambridgeshire Constabulary
2. There is no formal policy in place. Optimum staffing levels are set by the Senior Management Teams for the areas concerned
4. To retrieve this information would take a manual search of the system which would take longer than 18 hours to retrieve the information requested. Unfortunately this means it is not possible to suggest a way to refine this request, as even if the date range were reduced it would still require hundreds of records to be manually checked.
We therefore, consider that the cost of complying with your request for information would exceed the appropriate limit of £450 as has been stated in the Freedom of Information (Fees & Appropriate Limit) Regulations 2004.
Section 12(1) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides that –
“Section 1(1) does not oblige a public authority to comply with a request for information if the authority estimates that the cost of complying with the request would exceed the appropriate limit.”
Section 17(5) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 requires Cambridgeshire Constabulary, when refusing to provide such information (because the cost of compliance exceeds the appropriate limit) to provide you the applicant with a notice which states that fact.
Should you have any further enquiries concerning this matter please do not hesitate to contact me quoting the above reference number.
Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire Constabularies provides you the right to request an independent review of this response under its review procedure. If you require such a review you must notify us within two months from the date of this letter. After lodging a complaint with Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire Constabulary if you are still dissatisfied with the decision you may make an application to the Information Commissioner. For information on how to make a complaint please visit ICO.org.uk or contact them on 0303 123 1113.