101 non-emergency number

101 logoFrom April 1, all police non-emergencies should be reported by calling 101.

The previous number, 0345 456 456 4, will no longer be available.

The number change is part of the Government’s national scheme to make 101 the single non-emergency number for the police in England and Wales.

How will it work:

101 will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The system will identify where you are calling from and connect you with the local police for that area.

When to use 101:

In an emergency always call 999 – for example, when an immediate response is needed because a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby or someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

Callers should use 101 to report less urgent crime or disorder, to contact the police with a general enquiry or to speak to a local officer.

For example:

  • If a car has been stolen
  • If property has been damaged
  • Where there is suspicion of drug use or dealing
  • To report a minor traffic collision
  • To give information about crime in an area
  • To speak to a local officer.

The public should continue to call their local council for things like:

  • Reporting graffiti
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Dumping and fly tipping
  • Vandalism

If the incident is recognised as an emergency, the operator or police call handler will put the caller through to 999.

Search Cambridgeshire Constabulary