Skip to content Quick exit

Clare's Law

What is Clare's Law?

Clare’s Law, also known as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme, gives members of the public the right to ask if their partner has a history of violent or abusive behaviour. Checks will be made by police and information will be revealed where there is reason for concern.

It is named after Clare Wood, who was killed by her former partner in 2009. She did not know that he had a history of violence prior to entering a relationship with her.

The information means people can make informed choices about their relationship.

Officers from the Safeguarding Unit will offer help, support and explain the onward progression of the application.

The scheme also gives people the right to ask on behalf of a close friend or relative. However, information will only be given to the person who is at risk, or someone who is in a position to protect them.

Police can also use the law to proactively reveal such information where there is concern but they have not been asked.

Please refer to The Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme, also known as Sarah's Law if you would like to make a request for disclosure.

Do not use this form to apply for information about yourself. You can request   information held about you on the Police National Computer by completing a Subject Access (opens in a new window) request.


Make an online application under Clare’s Law 

If you have concerns about your partner or the partner of someone you know, you can make an application under Clare’s Law online. 

To start the process, all you need to do is fill out some basic details below.  

An officer from the safeguarding unit will then make contact at a time that is convenient for you.

If you prefer, you can make an enquiry by calling the police non-emergency number 101. But if you or someone else is in danger now, always call 999.

Is a crime happening right now, is the suspect still at the scene, or is anyone seriously injured or in danger?

Please call 999 now

  • Does the person potentially at risk live in Cambridgeshire?

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.