Skip to content
New website

We are in the process of building a new website , which will be live in 2022. View our services currently available.

Quick exit

Access your personal data

The Data Protection Act 2018 allows you to ask for a copy of the personal information we hold on you, which is known as ‘subject access’.

How we use personal information

We’re committed to ensuring all personal information is handled appropriately in order to secure and maintain peoples trust and confidence in us as a police force.

We take data protection seriously and comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 which governs how we use and disclose personal information. The Chief Constable is registered with the Information Commissioner and is obliged to make sure we handle all information in the right way.

Details of how we process personal data is available in our privacy notice.

Access your personal information held by the police

Article 15 of the GDPR states that individuals are entitled to obtain confirmation as to whether or not personal data is held or processed about them, as well as access to the information - this applies to general data.

Section 45 of the Data Protection Act 2018, sets out a data subject’s right of access regarding law enforcement data held by the police.

If you'd like to access information regarding processing of your personal data by the police there are two options available depending on what information you'd like to get.

Option 1 - Access your criminal record data held on the Police National Computer (PNC)

To request a copy of any information held about you on the police national computer, you must make this request using the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO) website.

Option 2 - Access your data held on local force systems 

Requests for data are commonly referred to as a subject access request or SAR. They can be made verbally or in writing, including through social media. 

However, we will require documentation to be provided in order to verify your identity before we can process a request. Please refer to our Subject Access Request form (PDF,209KB) for further information. 

This form explains the information we require in order to process a request.

You may also apply via email by sending your request in writing.

Applications are free of charge and can be sent to us by email. Completed applications will be processed (once we have been able to verify your identity) within one month.

If we decline your request to access personal information

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 we may have to decline your request to access the personal information we hold on you, this would be likely in the following scenarios;

  1. where the release of information could lead to the identification of another individual to whom we have a duty of confidence. This may be where our recorded information involves more than one individual, for example a crime report identifying both a victim and a suspect or offender. An offender will not normally be given personal details of victims and vice versa.
  2. when disclosure of information being processed would harm the prevention or detection of crime or the prosecution of criminal offences. For example, we won’t release intelligence about an individual under these provisions if it would allow them to evade detection or harm a criminal investigation.

Please be aware that when requesting information, we can only release details we have on you, as the applicant. We cannot provide information relating to other individuals. Any details not relating to yourself will be redacted.

The right of access to personal data is for individuals to be aware of, and verify, the lawfulness of the processing.

Your personal information rights

In addition to a right of access, individuals also have a right to request rectification; restriction or erasure of personal data and to be provided additional information where automated decision making or profiling takes place.

The right to object to processing of personal data and the right of data portability, do not apply to law enforcement data processed by the police. 

Data portability only applies to general personal information when you provided it to a controller and they relied on consent to process the data.

Request rectification, restriction or erasure of your personal data held locally by Cambridgeshire Constabulary

You can request rectification of your personal data where it is inaccurate. You may also request restriction of your personal data if you believe the processing of it is unlawful; the data is inaccurate; or you have a particular reason for wanting the restriction. You can also request erasure of personal data where it is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected or the processing was not lawful.

Requests can be made to the Information Rights Unit, you will need to provide;

  • a description of the personal data in question
  • an explanation of the actions you are requesting to be taken regarding your personal data
  • identification so that we can verify your request
  • the reasons why you are making your request
  • contact details we can use to respond to your request.

Request erasure of personal data held on the Police National Computer (PNC), National Fingerprint Database (IDENT1) and the National DNA Database (NDNAD)

To request deletion of records held about you on the police national computer, your DNA or fingerprint data, you must make a request to the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO) website.

Right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)

You have a right to make a complaint to the ICO regarding any concerns you have about the information rights practices of an organisation. The ICO can be contacted on 0303 123 1113, or you may raise your concerns on their website

Right to judicial remedy where rights have been infringed

Section 167 of the Data Protection Act 2018, sets out the rights of data subjects to seek remedies in the court.

Claim compensation for breach of data protection

If you believe we have breached any requirements of the Data Protection Act and feel you have suffered damage or distress as a result, you may be entitled compensation. Any claims should be sent to our Information Rights Unit.

See section 169 of the Data Protection Act 2018, for more information.

Contact us

Data protection requests should be sent to the Information Rights Unit. The Information Rights Office can be contacted via the following details;



Information Rights
Bedfordshire Police HQ
Woburn Road
MK43 9AX


Information Rights are currently unable to receive calls. However, should you require to speak to a member of the team please request a call back by email and we will endeavour to call you as soon as we can.


Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.