Catalytic converters are often targeted by thieves for the precious metals found inside them.
Using high-powered tools they can jack-up a car and cut converters out within a matter of minutes.
To keep your vehicle safe:
- Mark your converter with a unique code so it’s harder for thieves to sell
- Approach your dealership for advice about fitting a Catloc or another protective device
- Park with your exhaust close to a fence, wall or kerb to reduce the risk of theft
- Install a 24-hour dashcam
- Purchase a driveway alarm
- Park in a well-lit area, ideally covered by CCTV
- If your catalytic converter is bolted on, consider having the bolts welded to make removal difficult.
Anyone who has any information about catalytic converter thefts should contact us via our web chat service; report information about crime online or by calling 101.
Always dial 999 if a crime is in progress.
More advice is available on the Secured by Design website.