Report a burglary
A secure home will reduce the chance of you getting burgled. But, if you get home and notice signs of a break-in, you can report a burglary to us online or by calling 101.
If you believe the intruder is still inside your home, you should call 999.
Homes without basic security features are five times more likely to be burgled than homes with security. We are committed to reducing burglary in Cambridgeshire and advise residents to follow these simple steps to reduce the chances of becoming a victim;
- lock doors, windows, side gates and outbuildings every time you leave your house, even if you’re just out in the garden
- secure bikes by locking them to an immovable object inside a locked shed or garage
- store high value items, such as jewellery and passports, in a properly secured safe or bank vault.
Hide items from view
- keep all keys out of sight and away from letterboxes
- keep ladders and tools stored away
- remove valuables from view of ground floor windows
- at Christmas, don’t leave presents that can be seen through windows
- don’t advertise expensive electrical item purchases by leaving the packaging out by your bins. Put the packaging out on your bin collection day.
Install home security
- install a visible burglar alarm
- have good outdoor lighting or motion sensor security lights
- install a driveway alarm, which acts as a deterrent to protect your home perimeter
- plant spiky plants in vulnerable areas.
Euro-cylinder locks are likely to be fitted to the majority of external doors in your house or flat and some offenders have developed a way of overcoming them to then gain access. There are ways that you can reduce the opportunity for a euro-cylinder burglary to take place at your home by having locks and handles fitted to the following British Standards:-
- TS 007 (3 star cylinder or 1 star cylinder with 2 star handles)
- Sold Secure Diamond Standard for lock cylinders (SS312)
Depending on your budget you could obviously achieve a 5 star solution by fitting a 3 star cylinder in combination with a 2 star handle.
Cylinder locks can be changed by yourself but it is vital that they are measured properly to ensure the right size for your door. They should NOT be fitted so that they are left protruding from the door unit or handle. Best advice is to have them fitted by an accredited locksmith who is a member of the Master Locksmiths Association and consider obtaining more than one quote.
If you would like further advice on this matter, or any aspect of crime prevention, please do not hesitate to contact your local Community Safety Officer.
Immobilise is a free national facility that allows you to record your personal property and belongings. In the event that a registered item is lost or stolen, we can easily return it to you if any of the items are recovered by an officer.
Leaving your home for long periods of time
When you go away, there are some extra precautions to take to prevent your home from looking empty, such as;
- asking a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your home
- think about subscribing to your local Neighbourhood Watch
- leaving radios or lights on, or on a timer, to make your home appear occupied
- avoiding posting holiday plans or movements on social media
- cancelling milk or newspaper deliveries before you go away to avoid a build-up.