Data Protection

How we use personal information

Cambridgeshire Constabulary takes Data Protection very seriously and takes great care to ensure that personal information is handled appropriately in order to secure and maintain individuals' trust and confidence in the constabulary.

The use and disclosure of personal information is governed in the United Kingdom by the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). The Chief Constable of Cambridgeshire Constabulary is registered with the Information Commissioner as a 'data controller' and as is obliged to ensure that the constabulary handles all personal information in accordance with the act.

Cambridgeshire Constabulary's registration number is Z4882190 and details the purpose for which we process personal data. Our registration can be viewed on the Data Protection Register via the Information Commissioner's website.

Subject Access

Subject Access is the most commonly exercised right used by individuals to obtain a copy, subject to exemption, of their personal information that is processed by the constabulary. You can find full details of the application process in our Subject Access section.

Information Rights
Bedfordshire Police HQ
c/o Cambridgeshire Constabulary
Woburn Road
MK43 9AX
Telephone: 01234 842547

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to request that inaccurate information is corrected or deleted. You can also request that your information is no longer used or held if you can show that you are being caused significant and unwarranted damage or distress. In some cases you might be entitled to compensation.

Making such a request will not automatically result in the information being changed or removed. If the constabulary can show that the information is necessary and relevant to its lawful and legitimate functions as a police force the information will be retained.

These are the actions you can take:

  1. Contact the Cambridgeshire Constabulary's Information Access Office with your complaint.
  2. Contact the Chief Constable or the constabulary's Professional Standards Department.
  3. Contact the Information Commissioner's Office. This is the government department responsible for ensuring organisations are using personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
  4. Take advice from a solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Legal Aid Changes

Search Cambridgeshire Constabulary