Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of our frequently asked questions regarding sexual assault and rape.

Q: Should I report a serious sexual assault or rape to the police?

A: Yes, anyone who commits this kind of crime should be apprehended to stop them from committing further assaults.

Q: How do I report a serious sexual assault or rape to the police?

A: If you want to report a serious sexual assault or rape you have two options. If the incident has just taken place or you are in danger call 999, alternatively, call 101 and we will arrange for a police officer to come out to see you.

Q: What happens if I tell the police?

A: An officer will discuss the procedure with you and go through your options. Please see the ’what happens page for more details.

Q: I don’t want to go to the police, what are my options?

A: You can choose to pass information about the attack to the police anonymously. You can do this through the Oasis @ Rivergate, where you can also receive the medical attention and support you may need. Please see the help and support pages for more details.

Q: Will I have to go to court?

A: Not all cases go to court. If there is enough evidence for your case to go to court then you will be supported throughout by a specially trained officer or an ISVA (Independent Sexual Violence Advisors).

Q: How can I report a rape when I can’t remember what happened?

A: It is important that you have the confidence to come forward and tell us, we will listen.

Q: I took drugs and alcohol prior to the offence, will I be arrested?

A: The police will want to focus on the sexual offence that was committed against you. You should be honest and open about any drugs or alcohol that you had taken, it may help demonstrate your inability to fully consent.

Search Cambridgeshire Constabulary